Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Martha Stewart Cooking School


Last week, I was telling my friend Sarah that I was inspired by Julie and Julia to cook my way through a cookbook. She mentioned that she would be interested, but wanted to learn technique in the process. I had an "aha!" moment. Apparently, I'm not the only one. When I was pregnant with N., I had a period of time where I literally almost didn't eat. Its called hyperemesis. Its not pretty. I love food. I couldn't eat food. I obsessed over food. The Food Network became my best friend, I had the lineup memorized. My favorites: Down Home with the Nealys, Diners, Drive Ins and Dives, and Barefoot Contessa. I want to be her. And when I really needed a fix, Paula Dean. I also read through Martha Stewart Cooking School, and was fascinated. I tried to learn through reading, since standing didn't work.

Back to my aha! moment. I want to (selectively) cook through the MS Cooking School Book, of which I happen to have a copy. I'm lucky--I have an extraordinarily talented sister in law, who designed several of Martha Stewart's latest books, and we have quite the library, thanks to she and my mother-in-law.

The plan: To do one lesson a week. It might take me a while. I'll keep you updated.

1 comment:

  1. This sounds awesome, can't wait to read the updates. I was gifted this book for my wedding and it's one of the best cookbooks I own - I had no clue how to roast a whole chicken, but following her techniques has caused roast chicken to regularly appear on our dinner table :)

    ReplyDelete